/

A Filipino Family's Movie List 2009


 I'm a movie buff. I love watching flicks at the theater and with my home setup. My family's taste may not be the same as the general public (or critics) so keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and nothing more. Our likes range from loud, effects-filled movies to dramas and everything in between. Movies released in 2009 that are not on the list were not enjoyable to me and my family or we haven't seen it yet (will update the list if there are additions before 2010). The list is not ranked but listed alphabetically since I probably will spend an awful lot of time debating with myself as to which will be #1 :-)

Here's the list of movies we enjoyed this year (2009) with a short comment for each:

  • 9 - Wow this was good. Post-apocalyptic-themed animation. Makes you think.

  • 12 Rounds -  Cop and bad-guy action like Die Hard. I didn't expect to like a WWE Studios film but I stand corrected.

  • Aliens in the Attic - Good family flick with aliens. Loved the "Nana" deathmatch scene, reminds me of the Yoda vs Dooku scene in Attack of the Clones :-)

  • Angels & Demons - I'm not Roman Catholic but the religious, historical, and mystery themes of this movie were very interesting. Spoiler Ahead - This had a nice plot with a twist I didn't expect: Obi Wan going to the Dark Side :-)

  • Coraline - Good dark-themed animation with a visual style like Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

  • District 9 - I love sci-fi, and I enjoyed this very much. I really felt sorry for the main character and the prawns. The film portrayed a complex racism theme while using aliens.

  • G-force - This was just plain silly fun. All because of adorable 3D CGI rodents!

  • G.I. Joe - Loved the G.I.Joe cartoon when I was a kid. Felt like a kid again. Looking forward to the sequel. Yo Joe!

  • Knowing - Hard to describe but enjoyed it. It took some Biblical Apocalyptic themes and mixed it with Aliens.

  • Moon - A bit slow but very engaging sci-fi mystery. Deals with morality issues. Reminds me of 2001 and 2010. The serene but lonely depths of space.

  • Night at the Museum 2 - We're divided with this one. Comments range from "too long" to "too many characters". But it earns it's place here because of the 300 slo-mo action spoof by the Roman Centurion guy - gotta love it!

  • Race to Witch Mountain - It's got The Rock , UFOs and alien super-kids, enough said.

  • Star Trek - Next to Star Wars and Galactica this is my other favorite sci-fi franchise. I hope this alternate future reboot brings on more sequels. Live long and prosper!

  • Terminator Salvation - Apart from having Batman constantly come to mind and the movie having an end, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. With it's GNR strains and Arnie CGI look-alike  I'm very satisfied. Waiting for the next installment. I'll be back...

  • Terra - I believe this was from 2007 but released here this year. This was a good CGI movie, loved the expressive eyes of the aliens. It had a sad ending but was very nice. Reminds me of Titan A.E.

  • The Tournament - This probably slipped under most people's radars. Unfortunate because fans of gun-play action will like this one.

  • Transformers 2 - Liked the first installment and I liked this one too. Loved the cartoons when I was a kid and desperately hoped someone will give me the toys! Unfortunately imported toys were too expensive back then :-(  -Autobots, roll out!

  • Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - Ok this is actually the prequel of the Underworld series. Nice lighting and action my only wish was for more epic battles.

  • Watchmen - I wasn't familiar with the Watchmen until I saw the film. Nice story, action, and music selection!

  • Wolverine - The origin of Wolverine. Very memorable title sequence. Loved the sword play.

12/31/2009 Update: movies I enjoyed watching since the original posting:

  • 2012 - End times movie. Does not conform to the Biblical prophecies but still good to watch for entertainment purposes. Lots of great effects and a good story.

  • Ghosts of Girlfriends Past - Nice feel good movie.

  • Pandorum - At first I thought it was a Dead Space clone but the story and premise drew me in and kept my interest until the end. Very good sci-fi mystery. Reminds me of the scary Event Horizon.

  • Up - Before we watched it, the premise was uninteresting to me. I didn't think I would like it but it was a hit for us. A bittersweet story of a boy, a girl, and a dream.


      Free Clip Art Provided by Artclips.com. Copyright 2007. All Rights Reserved.

      RSS Feed

      0 Comments for A Filipino Family's Movie List 2009