/

Datel SuperSports 3X Steering Wheel and Pedals Review

Before I purchased an Attack 3 I knew that the next itch would be for rudder pedals because the Attack 3 doesn't have twist function. Incidentally, I also wanted to have a steering wheel for some driving action. The logical choice regarding availability here is the Logitech (again) wheels but they feel too expensive for me considering that I may tire eventually of using it. I looked at the nearby shops and found only Logitechs and the high end one at that (G27). So out of desperation I went looking in game console shops (found none) and eventually SM Toy Kingdom! :-) Here I found two wheels - a Logitech Driving Force GT and a Datel Super Sports 3X, prices are P5899 and P2499 respectively. I went home and researched the Datel and found that those who bought it gave generally favorable reviews and the main selling point appeared to be the programmability.

Going back to my needs, I wanted a steering wheel and pedal set that can double as rudder pedals. Reading the PDF manual of the Super Sport 3X I found that the pedals can be programmed to act as buttons or axes including linking to a single axis! OK I'm sold.

I went and bought it and when I got home I was a bit expecting to be disappointed because after all it is just an Xbox 360 controller in the body of a wheel. But to my surprise the thing is well worth the money spent! Ok some details:

1. Build quality - above average build for the wheel (nice rubbery sides) and I would say average for the pedals (though i like the nearly symmetrical pedals because of my rudder pedal needs).

2. Gameplay - very responsive and is well suited to driving! (and also flying as rudder pedals)! I was fearing a large deadzone in the center but to my surprise the deadzone is very very small - unnoticeable during gameplay. Turning angle is 180 degrees - thought it would be tight but didn't notice it when actually playing.

3. Feel - wheel centering spring feels slightly stiff but the pedal springs are a bit light to my foot. The two  shifters (paddles and sequential stick) have a very loud "click" sound that may annoy sleeping spouses at midnight gaming sessions :-) But I like their tactile feel and besides you can also program the other buttons as shifters for silent mode gaming :-)

4. Vibration feedback - not like real force feedback but works great for the price. Reasonably strong though you may have to install this extra driver: http://lavendy.net/special/driver/xi/index.html  after normal installation to get vibration in older games.

5. Mounting - here is where it is bad. Instead of a table clamping mechanism for the wheel, there are just suction cups for it and just rubber feet for the light plastic pedal set. I had to add mounting straps to my table and floor just to have a stable platform.

6. Programmability - works as advertised but I just wish it doesn't need to be unplugged and plugged for mode changes (between normal and program mode)

I've had it for two weeks before I wrote this and the Datel Super Sports 3X still works good and I enjoy driving games more now. No more gamepad! (well except for motorcycle gaming - hope someone comes out with a proper controller for those too! listening Datel?)

I know it is no Logitech but at less than half the price it is way better than the cheaper no name china wheels. I recommend it to anyone who wants to drive. Remember that it can also double as rudder pedals in flight sims, just remember not to step on both simultaneously.

Overall a good purchase.

Product Page

RSS Feed

0 Comments for Datel SuperSports 3X Steering Wheel and Pedals Review